1. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Full stop. A lot of women avoid having their photo taken because they don’t feel good about how they look. But you know what? You ARE beautiful. Your kids know this. And they will want to look back on photos of their beautiful mum in years to come.
2. Have something to do. This helps so much! I don’t believe in posing or ‘setting up shots’ - instead, bake cookies with your kids during your session. Or have a tea party in your child’s bedroom. Or jump on the trampoline if you’re comfortable with that! Having something OTHER THAN getting your photo taken to focus on will help you feel relaxed, will produce more natural candid photos, and will accurately capture who you are as a family.
3. Exist In Photos For Your Kids. This is a big one. You are their whole world, so be there in the photo-memories.
4. Research your options and choose the right photographer for YOU. If you want candid, documentary style photos, choose a photography who specialises in that. If you’d like super luxe studio shots, choose a photographer who works exclusively in studio sessions. Know what you want the end result to look like - what kind of photo-memories you want to have - and pick the photographer who is going to best meet those particular needs.
5. You’ll never regret getting family photos taken. Ever. But you will regret NOT getting them when your babies aren’t babies anymore.
"A mother is the one who fills your heart in the first place" - Amy Tan